Sunday, September 20, 2009

Yogurt Pancakes

This morning we woke up wanting pancakes. However, I refuse to make the mixes that we have lying around, because I think that's cheating. I immediately went to the book Honest Pretzels, which, although it's for kids, has some fast, easy, and yummy recipes. The first recipe I saw was "Your Favorite Yogurt Pancakes". I looked at the instructions, and everything seemed simple and fast, exactly what you might want for a Sunday morning. They are actually pretty healthy, because they use a small amount of butter and no sugar. I subbed 1/2 cup whole-wheat and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour for the 1 cup ap to make them even healthier, and you couldn't taste the difference. These are not too sweet on their own, but great with syrup. Enjoy!

Your Favorite Yogurt Pancakes 

1 cup unbleached white flour (I used 1/2 cup ap and 1/2 cup white whole-wheat)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp butter for the batter, plus a little more for the pan
1 cup flavored yogurt (I used vanilla)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
desired toppings

Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder. Make a dent in the mixture using a soup spoon.
Melt the butter.
Combine the yogurt, milk, egg, and melted butter. 
Pour the wet mixture into the dent in the dry mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until you don't see any more flour.
Put a frying pan on the stove and turn the heat to medium. 
Coat the bottom of the pan in butter.
Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to measure out the batter.
Cook for 5-8 minutes, flip, cook until done. (my cooking times got shorter as more were made).
Serve immediately with desired toppings (I used maple syrup).

note: these are not the exact instructions in the book, because the book is written for kids and says things like "use a dinner knife to cut a slice of butter". :D

2 comments:

Drew B. Dope said...

ooooooh i think im going to attempt this some time soon.

Sophia said...

awesome, do