Saturday, December 5, 2009

Taste of Home Cherry Pie

Do you ever make a recipe while trying to impress people, and then you discover that it was amazing? I know I did, last Saturday when I made this pie. My dad requested cherry pie, so that's what I made. The recipe included directions for a crust, but I stuck with my new favorite, Dorie's. I had made six (6!) of them before thanksgiving, and I had two left. The filling uses tart cherries, but all we could find was sour cherries (are those the same...?). I was told to use a recipe with almond extract. Anyways, we made it, and it looked delicious. Honestly, the photo above doesn't do it justice. The next day when my dad took it to the office, it got great reviews. He even said it was the best cherry pie he's ever had! So basically what I'm saying is to go make it! Now! Enjoy :D

Cherry Pie (submitted by Taste of Home on Allrecipes)
  • 2 9-inch pie crusts, chilled
  • 2 (16 ounce) cans tart cherries
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • red food coloring
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
Preheat oven to 375 F. 
Roll out one pie crust to fit a 9-in. pie plate for bottom crust. 
Drain cherries, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Mix cherries, juice, sugar, tapioca, extract, salt and food coloring if desired; pour into the crust. Dot with butter . Top with a lattice crust using the second pie crust. 
Bake for 55-60 minutes.

3 comments:

Bill said...

I just made this recipe last night without any hassles and it is very tasty. I love anything with cherries. I just found a free cherry recipe book from Traverse Bay farms. It even has cherry juice recipes too.

Unknown said...

thanks! keep on baking :D

Sophia said...

sorry, that was me signed in on somebody else's account by accident!