Monday, January 18, 2010

TWD Rewind: Chocolate Chocolate Cupcakes

This weekend a couple of friends stayed over at my house. We thought a fun activity would be decorating cupcakes, and I figured this was a good time to make Dorie's Chocolate Chocolate Cupcakes, which I have been looking forward to. The batter was super easy to make, and the icing was pretty quick as well. We made a couple of changes - first, since we like really sweet desserts, we used semisweet chocolate instead of bittersweet in both the cupcakes and the frosting. Also, the recipe for frosting didn't seem like it made that much, so we doubled it and ended up with only a little bit left over.
The cupcakes were just alright. They were tall and very pretty, but still weren't very sweet and were a bit too dense for my liking. They were also a bit on the dry side. The icing was good, though, although it got very thick once it was on the cupcakes for a while (but I guess this is normal for ganache). All in all, I might make these again for a bakesale, but make a few changes to the recipe. If you want to try it for yourself, you can buy the book or find the recipe here. Enjoy!
(to explain my piping: I was using store-bought frosting and no real piping bag, okay?)

No comments: