Thursday, February 11, 2010

TWD Rewind: Four Star Chocolate Bread Pudding

We had some friends over for dinner on Saturday, and I obviously was in charge of the dessert, so I consulted my list of "TWD rewinds". Generally for dinner parties I try to make something that I wouldn't usually make during the week. So that means no loaf cakes, simple cookies, etc.... simply because that's the only way I'll try making something new that might take a while. This was one of those things.
It starts off with cubes of bread - I used challah, which was one that Dorie recommended. Then you make the custard mixture, which uses eggs, sugar, milk, cream, and chocolate. You put the bread in a pan, put the custard over it, let it soak for thirty minutes, and put in the oven to bake in a water bath. After you take it out, you wait.

It seems like forever with that thing just staring at you.
Right before serving, a little confectioner's sugar goes on. Yum... [insert drooling]. But, still not done...
Cut it up with some whipped cream on top and you're all done. Yum! We liked it best at room temperature, but hot and cold were good, too. This was so good! I would have liked a larger bread to custard ratio, though - it was a bit too eggy. Even then, everyone loved it and I'll definitely be making this one again. For the recipe, you can buy the book or find it here. Enjoy!

No comments: