Monday, April 5, 2010

TWD Rewind: Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie

The first time I made a meringue pie (or, for that matter, meringue of any sort) was last July. I was terrified! What if the cream turned into eggs, or the meringue fell, or any of the many tragedies I've heard of happened? The cream went fine, although it took a while to thicken (what if it's not supposed to take this long?). The meringue was quick (but what if I'm over-beating the egg whites?). But when I tasted it, I knew I had done it right. It was so yummy!
But back to THIS pie. The graham cracker crust was really quick and easy. Next was the cream. Since I've joined Tuesdays with Dorie, I have made a. lot. of. pastry. cream. Like, way too much. So when I made this pie, I wasn't scared of the cream. The only thing I changed in the recipe was that I cut down the butter from 2 1/2 sticks to 1 1/2 sticks, because I read on other blogs that it tasted too buttery. It was simple and went smoothly. Then came the meringue. I wasn't nervous about it, but when I started, I realized I didn't know what the egg whites should look like. I sort of guessed based on the description in the book, and I think I guessed right! I put the pie in the broiler to brown, and that was really quick. Out it came!
The next day, we served it as dessert for our Easter lunch. It was delicious! The cream was tart, but the meringue was sweet and made up for it. Everybody loved it! I might try this pie again in the future with lemons, too. If you want the recipe, you can find it here or in the book. Enjoy!

No comments: