Monday, August 15, 2011

Dorie's Chocolate Chip Cookies, revisited

Okay, I have a big post I'm working on for later this week, but I had to come on and write something really quick. Last February, TWD made "Dorie's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies". I thought they were great, but a lot of people complained about how flat they were. This didn't bother me so much, but I can see how a thicker cookie is more appealing. Since then I've made several batches of the cookies, and I figured something out; the key to making them thicker is really simple. First, increase the baking soda to 1 teaspoon. That little bit makes a big difference. Second, although they will look done at 10 minutes, bake them for 11-12. This will make them not sink once they come out of the oven. Third, if you have them, use thick baking sheets. Sometimes the thin flimsy metal ones bake less-than-pretty cookies. I'm still working on perfecting the recipe even more (haha, like I can do that....), but these changes certainly made the cookies less flat and bumpy.

No comments: