Monday, July 23, 2012

Peanut Butter Cupcakes

I wanted cupcakes, but I was sick of making the same old vanilla and chocolate recipes over and over. I was considering a salted caramel cupcake (it would be great if anyone has a good recipe?) when peanut butter came up. Sounded good to me!
I didn't waste a lot of time searching for a recipe: I found the first one that looked good and went to the grocery store!
This recipe was perfect. I had never used shortening in cupcakes before, but it gave them a really good texture, and I used butter-flavored shortening so that the buttery flavor wasn't lost. The peanut butter flavor definitely came through in the cupcake but wasn't too strong. These could be frosted with a peanut butter or marshmallow frosting and would be very good, but I decided to top them with this chocolate buttercream. It is my favorite recipe and so easy to make. It paired very well with the peanut butter; this might just be my new favorite cupcake!
Enjoy! <3
Peanut Butter Cupcakes
(from Allrecipes)

2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter-flavored)
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 pinch salt

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners, or grease and flour cups.
In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, shortening and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top of the cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting as desired.
- makes 24 cupcakes

No comments: