Monday, August 27, 2012

Flourless Corn Coconut Pudding-Cake

My mom and I came home a few days ago, tired from walking around the Brazilian malls (hard life, huh? You must hate me right now... Trust me, I wish this were my year-round life too!) to find my grandma in the kitchen. My grandma doesn't often cook or bake (although when she does, whatever she makes is always delicious), so I knew something special was going to come out of there.
She said she was making a gluten-free cake for my mom. This "cake" takes just a couple of ingredients: sweetened condensed milk, eggs, dried coconut, coconut milk, and canned corn. That's it. No flour or thickener of any kind. You would expect something like this to fall apart, but somehow, maybe magically, it doesn't. Straight out of the oven, it's almost like a pudding. Once cooled, it's a very moist cake- I decided to all it a pudding cake. It's not overly sweet, the perfect afternoon snack with a cup of creamy coffee or tea. Although I still have no idea how these ingredients come together into a cake, I guess that's simply the kind of magic that comes out of a grandma's kitchen. I just hope it happens in my kitchen once I get home, too- this pudding-cake is so delicious, you can bet it's going to be in my house very often. Enjoy! <3
Flourless Corn Pudding-Cake

3 eggs
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 14-oz. can corn kernels, drained
1 200-ml. bottle or can coconut milk (can be light)
100 grams dried coconut, preferably unsweetened

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 6-cup bundt pan (or double the recipe for a regular-sized pan).
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend to desired consistency- I like a few pieces of corn in there, but you can blend it until totally smooth if you like.
Pour into greased pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Eat warm or let cool for a firmer dessert.

No comments: