Thursday, January 31, 2013

Super Simple Thumbprint Cookies (with kids!)

I know these pictures aren't the greatest, but these cookies were too good not to share.

   Things have been crazy this month in my house. Mix finals, a trip to Brazil and various other shenanigans, and it makes for a busy start to the year. Last weekend, I was able to take a couple of hours to teach some kids how to bake cookies! 
   My mom's friend runs a childcare, and she asked me if I wanted to come spend the morning with her group of three-year-olds. I knew I wanted to bake with them, but it had to be something simple enough for tiny hands to manage! These cookies were perfect - the kids helped me measure ingredients and stir the dough, and then they each got to roll their own cookies in sugar and make dents with their thumbs to fill with jelly. They were all so excited to see their lovely cookies come out of the oven!
   Besides being extremely simple to make, these are also really yummy. The cookie dough has a light vanilla flavor that pairs well with just about any filling - I chose a mixed berry jam, but these would be great with any other fruit spread, or even something like nutella for a slightly more indulgent treat. Enjoy!
Super Simple Thumbprint Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
about 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup jelly, jam or preserves (your favorite flavor)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Using an electric mixer or by hand, cream together the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
Stir in the flour and salt just until mixed.
Scoop about a tablespoon of dough for each cookie. Roll into a ball and roll in the sugar. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
Using your thumb, press a dent into each cookie. Spoon in a little bit of desired filling.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.

No comments: